Friday, June 8, 2007
Potty training 101
Okay, so Maggie and I both decided on Wednesday that she would start to go potty on the toilet. I decided I would wait until she was ready since I already made 2 attemps before and just ended up cleaning pee all day. Maggie asked to go on the potty so I was stoked that she was finally ready(I dreaded changing another toddler #2 diaper if you know what I mean). So the first day she did great. The second day not so great and I'm wondering what today will bring. So, if any of you have any advise for me, I could use it. What tips or tricks did anyone use that helped their kids. She still wakes up with a wet pull up so how does that stop?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Hey Amber! I am glad that you found my blog. I was just getting ready to post my potty training sucess story with Cass when I saw your post. I hear you on the no more #2 diapers. I had it to. I am not sure what worked with Cass but, he acutally just got it when I told him it was time to be a big boy and go on the potty. In 2 days it was a done deal. But, My friend Maelynn had a,"Potty Party" day with her little boy after several attempts and that worked great. They read books and did potty activites all day. Let me know if you are interested and I will get the details from her. Or, you could just send her to Charlons house for a few days. She has been through it enough :) Good luck!
When you find out let me know. I am doing this all over again with Kennedy. She was doing good and then went down hill. So I put her in diapers and now we are going to try. I have been doing it for 3 days. i tried everything before. now I am just doing the whole stickers, dora and barney and when she gets 20 stickers she gets to get a toy???? And when she wets in her pants we have to cross of one of the stickers. It is working pretty good???? i hate this. Lucky Julie gets to do 2 at the same time!!!!!
1. No more sippie cups (if she has them) If they drink all day, they will pee all day. Then they get lazy and don't want to go to the bathroom every 5 minutes. Trust me...key component! (I let my kids drink from regular cups, for some reason they don't drink as much when from reg. cups)
2. No Pull-Ups. They are fancy diapers...the kids know they can pee in them and it won't get them wet or make a mess. Save the $, use diapers at night till they are dry in the morning.
3. Buck naked, for about 3 days, granted you won't be able to go anywhere. But, it is hard for them to take down pants and undies when they are first learning the concept...the concept is get it in the toilet! Then you gradually get the undies on, then the clothes.
These are some of the things I did. I really didn't do any rewards, I just ran them to the bathroom every so often and cheered, even if they didn't go, we would flush and cheer. Habit forming! Potty training stinks, but is so nice when achieved! Good Luck! (like my novel, I think that I told you more than I told Tiff and she is doing the same with Preston...nice sis I am!)
Just think..it could be worst. You could have 2 kids to potty train!! Wish I could help, but not there yet! Good luck to ya!
I love potty training!! I am in the same position with Carter-who is not interested at ALL! I refuse to buy any more diapers for him, we only have like 3 left! Ahhhh!!! Caleb was the worst to potty train!! He wouldn't poop in the toliet-it was AWfUL!!! But the good news is-is that how many 4 & 5 year olds do you know who are not potty trained, they will eventually get it. You will find what works-after going through lots of accidents. ;-)I think I am going to try the buck naked thing.....ughh! Good luck!!
Good Luck is right. Every kid is different. They all pick up different things.
Make sure she is ready. If she does not want to feel poop in her undies, she will get it fast!! She's such a girly thing, she'll get it!
There are some books for little kids to read or babies for them to potty train, too!
(My next one will probably be a nightmare.. then I'll be doing this same post..if we ever get there!)
Did Suzanne tell you the part where she threatened Ellie that the pig statue on Main Street would bite her if she pooped in her panties again? It worked for Ellie. I think it's HILARIOUS! For Addi, I just made the cleaning up unpleasant. I gave her a cold bath. She hated it, so she got the gist. Halleigh took awhile. Every kid is different! GOOD LUCK! Keep us posted and let us know what trick worked for Maggie! PS I love your new hair! Did you donate your hair to Locks of Love?
Its Melanie Lynseys sister, after many hours sitting on the toliet reading every book we own to pass time, I tried the "Potty Party" too nothing was working, I told Owen that if he went potty on the toliet he could call anyone he wanted, I was thinking grandma, grandpa, dad, No he wanted to call Bob the Builder! I told him he could call bob if he went potty, sure enough he did. That day my friend pretended to be Bob the builder and Thomas the train all day long. He was so excited.Thats all it took. He was finally potty trained. Try it out with Maggie. Good luck I promise she wont be in diapers forever. I have yet to meet a 16 yr. old still in a pull up j/k. Hope this helps,
Melanie
so you can post me a comment but I'm not good enough to be added on your friends list....hmm the truth comes out!!!! haha jk come stop by and hang!!!!!!!!! now that you told me you thought about it, i'm going to harass you to actually do it! love ya!
Mele
Post a Comment