Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Reno's Annual Hot Air Balloon Race

Last weekend we thought we'd wake the kids up before the sun and take them to see the hot air balloon race. It was really cool to see. We stopped at Doughboys Donuts before we headed out so we could enjoy their deliciousness. Lucas was terrified of the balloons...kind of funny.

They launch them from this huge park and apparently we didn't get too close to the park but it was still fun to watch.


Lucas is my little dough boy

I didn't know there was hot air balloons in any other shape than a regular balloon...who knew?


Yes we went in our pajamas. There was a pj and bedhead contest but we weren't close to the tents and all the action where said contest would be. We just looked like lazy bums while everyone around us was dressed....at 6:30 in the morning.








thanks for the close up russ, I thought this was a family pic





I'm pretty sure almost the whole city of reno was there. That's one of the cool things about this town, everyone shows up to the city events.














after we got up and started walking back to our car, these bee balloons started landing on people! Obviously the people got out of the way but we turned around to see these things landing right where we had previously walked 30 yards back. It was pretty funny. The balloons were landing all over the city, in peoples yards, on roofs, in parking lots, kind of hysterical.


















you can see Tony the Tiger going down in some neighborhood.










This one landed where we were parked and when we first pulled into the lot Russell had originally parked right where the balloon is and I suggested he move the car across the way, good thing!











wells fargo balloon, the kids loved this one












Shout out to AZ!












4 comments:

Glamma said...

Amber those pics are awesome! Totally suitable for framing, I'd say! Your picture taking skills are quite fabulous!
Love those little bugs!

SouthernAZ WOLFINGTON said...

Sounds like a cool little outing. Good idea not to include pictures of Russell... he is... how do I say this... ugly. lol. Yep, I laugh at my own jokes. We all know Rew-sal is a gorgeous man.

Glamma said...

Every time I look at those bee balloons four feet off the ground ready to "sting" passersby it cracks me up..

Heather said...

That is dynamite! Tadd keeps telling me for one of my birthdays he's going to take me on a hot air balloon ride. But, I hate heights & hot air for that matter. To be honest, I'm not that found of balloons either.

Oh, well. I think it would be an awesome experience to tell the kiddies someday.

But seriously, what a fun trip to take with the kiddos. I'm sure it was amazing dodging inexperienced ballooners as the plummeted to the earth. :) GOod times in Reno!